Sheila's Fruit Cake
- 1 lb Marachino Cherries (I use 3 10oz jars of cherries with stems, they are firmer)
- 1 lb Pitted Dates
- 1 Cup Brazil Nuts
- 2 Cups Walnut Halves
- 1 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Sherry
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Rum (at a minimum)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 5 small or 1 regular loaf pan Put a square of waxed paper on the bottom as well.
- In a large bowl, mix cherries, dates and nuts with 1/2 cup flour to coat. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream sugar and butter then add well beaten eggs. Blend in the sherry, slowly add the rest (1 cup) of the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Combine dough, fruit and nuts in a large bowl. Spoon into bread pan/s and immediately put in the oven to minimize the time the batter has to ooze to the bottom of the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees small loaf pans 40 to 50 minutes, regular loaf pan 1 1/2 hours at 300 degrees. Remove from pan and cool on a baking rack.
- The traditional way to soak them in rum is to wrap them in soaked cheesecloth. I put the cooled loaf back in the pan and pour rum along the top of the loaf so that it runs down the sides. I then put the wet loaf onto a piece of Saran Wrap and wrap it with the Saran Wrap. Repeat once daily 2 to 4 times. Then weekly for as long as you can hold out. Its nice to bake them around Thanksgiving to have them for the Holidays.
Hay River Readers https://www.hayriverreaders.net/