Baby Brussels Sprouts with Buttered Pecans
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, cut crosswise into thirds
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds baby Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spread pecan pieces in 1 layer in a shallow baking pan and bake until fragrant and a few shades darker, about 10 minutes. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/4 teaspoon salt to nuts and toss until butter is melted and nuts are coated.
- While nuts bake, cook Brussels sprouts in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, until just tender, 5 to 6 minutes, then transfer to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking. Drain sprouts and pat dry.
- Melt remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, then add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minutes. Increase heat to moderately high, then add sprouts and saute`, stirring occasionally, until browned in patches, about 5 minutes. Add lemon juice, pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, then stir in pecans and serve.
- If you can't find baby Brussels sprouts, you can use regular sprouts and halve or quarter them.
Hay River Readers https://www.hayriverreaders.net/